7 Reasons Why You Should Belong To A Local Church
The Church is the body of Christ, Jesus is the founder and the foundation of the Church. Matt 16: 13-19, “ When Jesus came into the coasts of Caesarea Philipi, he asked his disciples, saying, Whom do men say that I the Son of man am? And they said, Some say that thou art John the Baptist: some, Elias; and others, Jeremias, or one of the prophets. He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am? And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God. And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Bar-jona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven. And I say also unto thee, that thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.,“- KJV
I have heard people say that there is no need of going to Church, that the important thing is to develop a cordial relationship with God. So you can seat at the comfort of your home and worship God. Some others say, there is no need of going to church since they can listen to messages on the television and join in online worship. Others give other reasons why they don’t belong to any church, so they go from one church to the other to worship on Sundays. Whatever reason or reasons that made you to toll the line of any of the above is not justifiable before God.
In this study I want to give to such people biblical reasons why they should belong to a local church. There is universal and local church. The universal church is made up of blood washed people. Those that are born again from different denominations while the local church refers to the coming together of people in a locality/community for the purpose of worship of God. All the members of a local church many not be born again but they come from a particular locality/ denomination. This refers to different denominations eg Deeper Christian Life Ministries, Assembles of God Church, Redeem Christian Church of God, Revival Crusaders Harvest Mission Int’l etc.
Here are the seven major reasons why you should belong to a local Church
- The Local Church is a representative of Christ on earth: Through her Jesus connects to the world (humanity) sharing His love with mankind. It is a gate to the universal church hence she labours always for the conversion of souls into the kingdom of God. Matt 28: 18-20
- Iron Sharpens Iron: Prov 27:17 God has given us different gifts with which to encourage and strengthen one another both in times of difficulty and merriment. You cannot succeed alone you need others who have what you need to compliment yours. It’s a place to express your gifts and talents.
- You Have Need of Fellowship: (Koinonia) Both with God and with one another. In fellowship we share the word of God, prayer, vision, ideas, feeling, gifts, both cash and kind etc Acts 2:42-47
- Cleansing By The Blood of Jesus: 1stJn1:5-7 One of the awesome benefits we have for fellowshipping together is that the blood of Jesus cleanses us from all sin. As we stay in his presence beholding him, we are permanently transformed.
- Agreement: This is another crucial advantage that we have as we come together. We walk together to achieve greater things. We engage in agreement prayers, which is more forceful than praying alone. One will chase one thousand but two will chase ten thousand- Deut 32:30. In agreement we become one and so manifest enormous authority as a church. Matt 18:18.
- For godly Companionship: 1st Corin 15:33. The worst saints is better than the best sinner; if there is anything like that. The church is the best place to be and one of the places you can find god-fearing people. As you discover such people and cleave to them, you will enjoy friendship void of betrayal and distrust.
- To belong To a Family: The local church gives you the opportunity to belong to a family for training, love, support and discipline when necessary. You need this to live a victorious Christian life. Josh 24:15.
You can see clearly from the Bible points of view the importance of belonging to a local church if you actually want to maintain a victorious Christian living in your pilgrimage.